Sunday 11 May 2014

Runswick Bay

Yes I know 2 posts in one day, well I said today was a ME day so I really wanted to get up to date with all our doings as it's going to get busy for me during the next 10 days due extra work days, a sailing club open day, Chelsea flower show and GOING TO CORNWALL!!!! But before all that I really want to tell you about our holiday in the caravan at Runswick Bay. If you don't know where Runswick Bay is it's north of Whitby, between Sandsend and Staithes. It's a small village at the bottom of a very steep hill, which is fine when you go down but doesn't half work your calf muscles on the way back.


It's very pretty, with very little in the way of amenities apart from a pub (very nice) and cafe



(cafe on left of picture)

It seemed very much a 'holiday cottage' place, with lots of lovely cottages to rent







alleyways


and unexpected gardens



The bay sweeps right round


with the sailing club on the beach. D enjoyed watching the racing taking place.



and some amazing rock formations with gorgeous colours in them





and patterns on them




There were rock pools, perfectly round due I think to some sort of drilling (D found out why they were like that so I'll update when he's in and can tell me)


and pebble sculptures


(In case you were wondering about the bright colours I was experimenting with the vivid setting on my camera)
We had a lovely walk along the beach when the tide was out on our last day, finishing up at the cafe for an ice cream.

We had our caravan at Runswick Bay Caravan and Camping site which was at the top of the bay with access to the Cleveland Way. Here we are



Can you see our car through the gap in the hedge? that was the way onto the Cleveland way and from the van we could just see the sea looking through it.

We walked from the site to Staithes on our first day.


 Passed Port Mulgrave





which owes it's existence to the ironstone mining industry of the mid nineteenth century. 
The fields around were alight with yellow rapeseed flowers


When you get to Staithes it's a walk down into the bottom (and hard going back up)


But at the bottom quite a pretty village, with a working harbour and more amenities.








I just loved the way this driftwood had been used


and the pile of lobster pots near the lifeboat station


It was our wedding anniversary that day so back at the van a treat for tea was in order, steak diane enjoyed with a bottle of gorgeous Urbina rioja - perfect




Now I still have to tell and recommend to you a lovely, lovely tea shop in Goathland and show you a picture of the bedroom end of our van that I re-vamped, but I'll save that for later. Till then bye x




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I look forward to reading your comments and will do my best to reply to you all. Anne