Sunday 28 February 2016

A Tea shop walk

Now I quite enjoy walking but not up hills such as Ingleborough or the Old Man of Coniston - no, I prefer a more gentle one along an old railway track or stream but best of all on a cliff top or beach. It's even better if at the end there is somewhere to have coffee and cake or maybe a glass of wine! Sometimes I can orchestrate a walk to include somewhere I've read about and want to visit and that was the case on Thursday. For a long time I had wanted to visit Teatime Vintage


a tea shop on the Baslow road out of Sheffield. I had drooled over the very delicious cake pictures that appeared on their facebook page and the vintage goods that decorated the tea shop so all I needed to do was to find a walk that was nearby. This was it. Unfortunately there is no way of printing the route (which would have been useful as we went wrong a couple of times) but along with our OS map and what we remembered from seeing it on the tablet we managed to roughly follow it.


We started by walking through houses till the public footpath sign was visible which took us down to Totley Brook and through the woods






It was very pretty but extremely muddy in places 


We crossed over a bridge



and then on reaching the top of the wood realised we had gone the wrong way so had to go back down through the mud - 'Going on a bear hunt' came to mind at this point
Never the less we continued through the woods



 till we came to the footpath over the fields


back towards Totley


 where we then walked through the old village of Totley, passing Totley Hall



an infant school built by D'Ewes Coke Esq of Totley Hall in 1827



 and some rather nice cottages


As we walked down the main road we could see the tearoom in the distance.


Going through the door we were greeted with a big hello and a lovely smile from the owner, Julie. Here she is painting the sign just before they opened in December.


The cakes immediately caught our eyes


Lemon cake, brownies or scones - well I would have liked all three but we choose the lemon cake and a scone. 


The lemon cake was the nicest I had ever tasted, light as a feather with gorgeous lemon buttercream filling and I think there might have been some lemon curd in there too. Here it is earlier in the day

The scone again was light and buttery served with jam and cream (and if you're thinking I had both, we shared). There's nothing like good home baked cakes. 

There was so much to look at whilst we were eating


I rather fancied the whisk (I think that's what it had been) upcycled and turned into a light fitting.


aprons and dresses (sorry about the blurred picture)


The box shelves on the wall reminded me of those David put up in Charlotte's kitchen.

What a great end to our walk. I shall definitely be going back and especially look forward to taking Charlotte and Becky there as I know they'll love it.

Well we are off to London in the caravan on Wednesday, a theatre trip, street food, museums and markets - oh and maybe some shopping!! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I look forward to reading your comments and will do my best to reply to you all. Anne